Cabra

Organise your trip

Facebook

Twitter


Youtube

Cargando...

web

turismodecabra.blogspot.com

Tourist Routes

Route of Juan Valera

Route of Juan Valera

If we want to really get to know the 'City of Valera', we must take a promenade around the places that were related to the renowned son of Cabra, Don Juan Valera y Alcalá Galiano. We start our itinerary in Valera's birth house, located on Avenida José Solis, which today is the site of the Music Conservatory. On the ground floor we find two rooms which feature some life facts about Juan Valera. From there we continue to the 'Plaza Vieja' until we get to the Parroquia de la Asuncion, where he was baptized and where his baptism certificate is still kept.

Route of Juan Valera

Walking down from the Barrio de la Villa we can get to the Barrio del Cerro through the San Juan steep road or 'Cuesta de San Juan'. This area with its whitewashed houses and its balconies embellished with flower-filled pots is an old Christian quarter that preserves the same flavor Valera described in his works. In May, this quarter hosts the famous Fiestas de la Cruz or the celebration of the Holy Cross.

As we leave through Puerta del Sol we find ourselves in the Fuente Cadenas, a witness of the passage of time, which leads us through Alcala Galiano Street to the Circulo de la Amistad. This is one of the places mentioned in Valera letters and works, in whose patio we can gaze at the wall tiles that remind us of the author.

Route of Juan Valera

Scattered around the building we can also find some of his family portraits. Moreover, we can enjoy a nice breakfast or aperitif in the patio of the 'Circulo'. Then, we can continue our itinerary in Casa de la Cultura. On the first floor there is the Municipal Library which houses the Centro de Estudios Valerianos. From there, we can move on to Juan Valera and Pepita Jimenez Streets, until we arrive at the Instituto Aguilar y Eslava High School, an institution with more than 300 years of history. Its library, the Biblioteca la Fundacion Aguilar y Eslava still contains a large part of Juan Valera's own library, donated to the institution by the writer. Right across from it we find the Parroquia de los Remedios (Soledad) church, the former Santa Ana sanctuary, and one of the places described by Valera in his work Pepita Jimenez.

Route of Juan Valera

We will continue our visit in the Plaza de Toros, the ancient arena of Cabra, inaugurated in 1857, on which some of Valera's accounts take place. Just a few meters from the bullring we find the Alcantara Romero Park. A monument of Valera surrounded by trees was erected in this park. At this site, a tribute is paid to the writer each year during the Fiestas de San Juan, where the Juan Valera Award is given since 1933 in Cabra.

Tourist route: oil and history

Tourist route: oil and history

As we live in the Age of Information and Knowledge, Cabra could not miss the opportunity to offer a feature-rich route. This gathers the entire range of the city museums, including the Centro de Interpretacion del Tren del Aceite, which combines the railroad tradition with the latest multimedia techniques to make an attractive interactive museum. This routes also includes visits to the 1865 Bullring of Cabra, whose basement will soon house the new bullfighting museum, the Antiguo Real Colegio de la Purisima Concepcion and its interesting Natural History Museum. A private initiative, the 'Old Mill' Oil Museum, is a pioneer project in the sector. This museum showcases the different harvest methods throughout history. The museum offer will be complete with the addition of the Museo de la Pasion and the Ethnological Museum, two essential pieces to get a taste of the most deeply-rooted flavor of Andalusia.

Tourist route: oil and history

Our route begins at the Centro de Interpretacion del Tren del Aceite (CITA). Located in the old Railroad Station of Cabra, which dates back to the XIX century, this theme museum uses the latest museum trends in order to introduce us to the world of the railroad and the olive oil culture. The museum lies next to the 'Via Verde del Aceite', as the old railroad was renamed when it was transformed into a recreational path for hiking and other types of active tourism activities.

Tourist route: oil and history

The 'Old Mill' Oil Museum stone building is a clear example of the XIX century industrial architecture. It is a place where we will travel back in time while admiring old methods and artifacts invented to extract the 'liquid gold', the olive oil. In the first part we can see Greek, Egyptian and Roman engravings, which depict how important olive oil was in these cultures, and how much they valued its healthy and cosmetic properties, by considering the olive tree and its fruit as something sacred. In the second part of the museum we find the 'esparteria', an oil mill, several presses and types of storage, a 'molino de correas' and, the jewel of the museum, a beam mill from the XVII century made of limestone and oak.

Tourist route: oil and history

Natural History Museum The arrival in 1917 of Professor Juan Carandell y Pericay meant an important evolution for the museum, as it became an important research site, and as such was registered in the Royal Spanish Natural History Society.This museum houses numerous items, such as whale jaws, elephant tusks, eagles, various collections of desiccated mammals, birds, reptiles and fish, herbal collections, a two-headed sheep, and extensive mineral, agriculture, entomology, zoology and botanic studies. It is indeed an interesting place both from the historical and scientific point of view.

Groves and quaint scenery

Groves and quaint scenery

Cabra emerges from the countryside, like an oasis taken out of the most romantic of the andalusi legends. In its streets you can feel the union of water and land, creating a scenery from a fantasy land, with examples such as the Fuente del Río, where the river Cabra finds its origin. This site was declared of Natural Interest in 1929; or the Fuente de las Piedras, with the Arroyo de las Pozas stream, which irrigates the fertile valley. Inside the towns urban area we can enjoy some little corners of incredible beauty. Some of these are: the Plaza Vieja, San Agustín Square with its Fuente Cadenas, the Calle Mayor and Plaza de los Condes de Cabra, always under the gaze of the Torre del Homenaje. A special mention should be made to the botanical jewels of Cordova, the 'Alcántara Romero' Park, built in 1848, which is considered the oldest park in the province, with over 100 different types of plants, which make it the bastion of this route.

Groves and quaint scenery

We'll make our first stop at the beginning of this route, in the Plaza de los Condes de Cabra, to observe, with particular interest, a valuable Portugal cypress(Cupressus lusitanica), classified as a 'peculiar tree' by the Catalogue of Peculiar Trees and Groves. The peculiarity of this tree lies in its own appearance, particularly thick and tall, an in the fact that it belongs to a rare species, with exceptional ornamental value. San Agustín Square is one of the most beautiful places in Cabra. It underwent several modifications, which led to different changes in the gardens and the trees that make it come alive. Formerly, there were some important examples of the Arizona cypress. At present we can enjoy the beauty of its three-thorn acacia and jacaranda. Another remarkable element in this little square is the fountain called 'Fuente de las Cadenas' situated in the center.

Groves and quaint scenery

The Alcantara Romero Park was built in 1848, when José Alcantara Romero was mayor of the city. This large park is a beautiful example of characteristic garden design of the XIX century. The park features rare species with enormous ornamental value, for example the century-old sequoias, the slim banana trees and a plethora of different vegetation (trees, shrubs, annual and perennial plants, etc.). Its rich biodiversity, the extraordinary peculiarity of much of its vegetation, and its architectural elements (for example, the central section), together with its ancient history, make it one of the most remarkable green areas in the province. In addition, it has been classified as 'Unique Garden' and 'Unique Grove', featuring some 'Peculiar Trees' as defined in the provincial tree catalogue.

Groves and quaint scenery

The Fuente del Río is a clear example of a natural site that was subject to numerous man-made modifications. This area offers a blend of nature, with a spring which is characteristic of the limestone terrain of the Sierra de Cabra, and the ornamental value of gardens and trees that, together, make up an interesting scenic landscape. As such, it has received several denominations, for example, 'Site of Cultural Interest' (B.I.C.), 'Site of Natural Interest' or 'Peculiar Grove'. In Fuente del Río we find the origin of the Cabra river and the boundary of the Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park, declared in 1988.

Groves and quaint scenery

The Fuente de las Piedras is one of the numerous natural springs that are abundant in the typical limestone ground of the Subbética region. The Arroyo de las Pozas stream flows in this site, and is the main tributary of the Santa María brook. A densely populated pine area on a limestone and boulder terrain characterizes the site. In other points of this area, there are banana trees and poplars, among other plant species. This natural scenery has a deeply appreciated recreational value.

Baroque

Baroque

Cabra, along with Priego and Lucena, make one of the most interesting baroque ensembles in the province. The urban development and economic expansion that took place in Cabra from the XVI century, after Granada was conquered, led to the construction of a series of buildings that nowadays beautify the city and show an example of its rich historical past. This route includes important exponents, such as Asunción y ángeles Parish Church, also called 'the baroque mosque'; San Juan de Dios Church, a great example of Cordovan baroque; RR.MM. Escolapias Church, which carries Valdés Leal's imprint; San Juan Bautista Church, believed to be an ancient Visigoth cathedral, although its baroque appearance dates back to the XVIII century; RR.MM. Agustinas Church, a chapel with a plain architectural style from the XVII century; Santo Domingo Monastery, from the XVI century; and Remedios Parish Church, dating from the XVI century and rebuilt in the XVIII century.

Baroque

In Aguilar y Eslava Square we find Ntra. Sra. de los Remedios Parish Church. This is a small church built on the ruins of a sanctuary dating from the XVI century and consecrated to Santa Ana. It is also the worship site of one of the most venerated images of the Virgin Mary in the town, 'Virgen de la Soledad', a work by Pedro de Mena, purchased in Granada in 1663. The faade, which dates from 1729, gives access to a square-shaped interior, divided in three naves. The presbytery is covered by a splendid dome decorated with abundant plastering of complicated leaf motifs by Antonio álvarez, as well as the main altarpiece with niches. It was gilded by Francisco Ponce de León in 1744, ten years after it was built.

Santo Domingo de Guzmánwas the first monastery in Cabra; it was established in 1550 on the remains of a small sanctuary, called Ermita de la Doctrina, which dates back to the beginning of the XVI century. The present building shows the imprint of the several modifications that were made in different ages, mainly in the second half of the XX century, when the main altarpiece with the sculpted image of Santo Domingo was recovered. The brick facade features a white limestone portal with two marble columns whose capitals support a niche with an image of the Purísima. A remarkable feature to be emphasized is the impressive height of the tunnel vault.

Baroque

The RR.MM. Agustinas Church, a monastery established in 1697, is a site not to be missed. It is a chapel with a plain architectural design and a single nave divided in four sections. A hemispherical dome over 'pechinas' covers its main altar. On the main altarpiece, we can admire the Ntra. Sra. de las Angustias and Cristo Yacente sculptures made in carved and gilded wood, which belongs to the monastery since the time of its foundation. The image of Christ is attributed to José de Mora's entourage, and dates from the third quarter of the XVII century. It is considered one of the best sculptures representing fallen Christ in Andalusian sculpture history.

In the picturesque Santa María la Mayor Square, in the middle of 'El Cerro' old quarter, we find San Juan Bautista Church, the oldest temple in the city. Founded in the VII century by Bacauda (a bishop from Cabra who took part in the VIIIth Council in Toledo). Inside this church there is a very special piece. It's an altar (pilaster-shaped stone) with a legend in gothic characters, which consecrates the church to Santa María on May 30th, 688 (650 a.d.). It is the oldest epigraphic sign of veneration for the Virgin Mary in the Cordovan diocese and one of the very few that exist in the whole of Andalusia.

Baroque

If we continue walking, we find San Juan de Dios Church. Although the establishment of this temple dates from the XVI century, its main structure belongs to the XVII century. It was previously attached to the monastery governed by the Order of S. Juan de Dios until 1835. The simple main front, carved in stone, features a sculpture representing S. Juan de Dios. Inside the church, there is a single nave with edge vault and dome. The evolution of its plentiful cornice is particularly significant. Other outstanding features are its beautiful altarpieces.

The RR.MM. Escolapias Monastery Church is located at the RR.MM. Escolapias school and convent building. Built on the remains of the old castle, it dates from 1649. It is situated at the top of the 'Villa' old quarter, where you can also find the former manor house of the Duke of Sessa and Count of Cabra. The temple has a plain style. Its main altar will surely catch your eyes, with eight paintings, including one by Juan de Valdés Leal in the center of the ensemble.

Baroque

A clear and crisp sound invites us to continue our visit at Ntra. Sra. de la Asunción y ángeles Church. It is located in the center of the main square of the 'Old Villa' quarter. This medieval church was built by the Calatrava brothers on the site of an ancient mosque, and was later consecrated to Santa María de los Angeles, in 1241, the date the city was conquered by Ferdinand the 3rd. Its floor plant is divided into five naves, separated by rows of stilted arches over 44 red marble columns, covered by tunnel vaults. The main altarpiece, by Melchor de Aguirre, is made of red and black marble, and its design was projected by the renowned architect from Cabra José Granados de la Barrera. The central niche features an image of Ntra. Sra. de la Asunción, made in Granada in 1693. The choir, carved in wood, and the organ are also noteworthy.

Archaeological

Baroque

The archaeological heritage shows us part of our history, explains us our present, and teach how a place has been transformed by the man from old times. The historic-archaeological heritage of 'Subbética from Cordoba' is very important into the andalusian context for its wealth and deposits (300 known deposits). Cabra is one of the most important deposits due to its history. From Pre-history period, we have Cueva de Jarcas, La Mina or 'Los Mosquitos'. The Roman period is represented with 'La Villa del Mitra', all this is supported by The Archeological Museum, one of the most important of the district. So that, we find an opportunity in order to know the history of Cabra. We can immerse in it, as in a dream or in a travel by the past which discovers us the wealth from past period to nowadays.

Baroque

In 886, when Mohamed emir died Cabra united to Omar, son of Hafsum, but his successor, Almondir, sent the cavalry which invaded the castle and fortress (28). In 1226, Alfonso 'el Batallador' conquered it but defeated the Anzur castle, he left it. In 1240, Cabra is conquered by Fernando III, who gave it to Alonso Rodriguez de León. The 5th February of 1258, Alfonso X firmed a privilege conceding Cabra to Cordoba. In 1288, Sancho, el Bravo, gave this possession to his son Pedro de Ledesma who changed by the Ville of Santa Olaya , the Order of Calatrava, the domination of Cabra, which Juan Núñez del Prado was the first owner. In 1328 Alfonso XI sent to work the new castle and fortresses. According Ramírez de Arellano, the exterior towers are from this period. In 1331, Pedro Diaz de Aguayo gave it to Granada where the towers and walls were overthrowed. In 1445 Enrique IV donated the castle and the fortress to Mariscal Diego Fernández de Córdoba.

Baroque

The Castle of Cabra was built in the north-west of the city, into walled. It had a Square of arms where eight or nine thousand men could form up. The castle was ciecled for a wall with eigthteen towers. Nowadays only the middle of the wall stays yet. The width of the wall is more or less 2.60 metres. Only two towers are known and the location of two towers next to principal door. In the middle of the wall is the Torre del Homenaje. It is almost square and 20 metres of height. And the other tower stays in the north-east, the floor is square and is 10 metres of height. Nowadays, this place is the Convent-School of the RRMM Escolapias.

Baroque

The Archaeological Museum of Cabra was built by The Ministerial Order the 15th January of 1973, having its location in the town hall. In 1984 it was translated to building where Banco de España was installed, today Casa de la Cultura. You can go in throwing a lattice gate of iron circled four columns of red stones from mountains of Cabra. Materials are around the Patio de Columnas, called so because of its ten columns, and in the centre there is a colored window which is trought by the light.

The materials that are shown come from excavations in the 'Villa del Mitra' and in 'La Veleña', or donations. These materials are ordered by chronological criteria: from paleolithic period to actual times. All these elements give importance to Cabra and sure that this city has a great history.